?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

A Google toolbar for Mozilla (sort of)

Using a Mozilla browser? Jealous of your IE-using friends and their Google toolbar?

No need to worry!

Here's an independently developed version for Mozilla, Firebird et al...

Comments

( 6 comments — Leave a comment )
blufive
Jul. 16th, 2003 10:57 am (UTC)
Personally, I'm a fan of the Mycroft extensions for MozillaFirebird's built-in search bar...
kightp
Jul. 16th, 2003 10:58 am (UTC)
Thanks, Simon! Since I don't use IE for anything but testing Web pages as I build them, I didn't even know there was such a thing, but I've just installed the Mozilla version and think it'll make a very handy alternative to the Google button I'd added to my personal toolbar.

In less cheery news, what's your take on this report? I'm depressed ...
blufive
Jul. 16th, 2003 12:49 pm (UTC)
In short: Netscape is dead - long live Mozilla.

From what I can see, Netscape never recovered from the long gap between versions 4 and 6. Most of the people who wanted an "alternative" browser dumped Netscape and went over to Mozilla instead.

kightp
Jul. 16th, 2003 12:54 pm (UTC)
Jon's article suggests, however, that Mozilla will be lucky to make it through this alive, despite AoL's pledge of a $2 million development grant. *That's* the part I find depressing. I personally gave up on Netscape when it made the alliance with AoL; the handwriting on that wall seemed clear even then.
blufive
Jul. 16th, 2003 01:07 pm (UTC)
I don't think moz is going away any time soon. Eric Meyer seems to regard as accurate a news.com report saying that AOL laid off about 10% of Netscape staff, not all, as Jon said. As one of the other 90%, he ought to know.

Mozilla still has the support of IBM, Sun, Red Hat and others, plus large numbers of developers from the academic world.
kightp
Jul. 16th, 2003 01:19 pm (UTC)
Thanks for the pointer. I consider Eric pretty reliable, but I note that he says those who weren't laid off are being offered "other positions within AOL," not that those positions will involved browser development.

Believe me, I'm crossing my fingers for Mozilla, but the deck is looking awfully stacked.
( 6 comments — Leave a comment )