1. When did you first connect ("go online"), and how?
1988 was my first Usenet post. I'd been using JANET for a while before then, and email from about 1984 or 5... groups.google traces me back to rec.arts.sf-lovers back in May 1990
2. What was your first communications program?
mail. That and rn for Usenet.
3. When did you first chat over the internet, and how?
1990 or so. Using talk over JANET from Bath to akicif in Leeds
4. What chat type program(s) do you use now?
Trillian for most of the IM networks I'm on, and JAJC for Jabber.
5. Who was your first service provider?
JANET and the University of Bath for academic stuff, then Demon for dial up IP. Then I was the technical manager at UK Online for their first two years.
6. Did you ever use AOL?
Yes, but that's because marypcb used to run the Technology and Computing channels there, and I needed to see (and admire) her work! And I wrote their original web card system in three evenings, as well as writing technology content for them...
7. Do you admit using AOL in public?
Yes. I even wear an AOL jacket at times. I'm still proud of the work I did for them.
8. Who is your current ISP?
Me for mail. I get fixed IP DSL from Astra, though. The web site is on a shared Raq at Wizards, who also host my DNS.
9. What was the first computer that you used to access the 'net?
A GEC mainframe, the infamous gdr.bath.ac.uk. Prior to JIPS going live I padded from there to nfs-sun at Imperial for IP access to the rest of the world.
10. What computer do you use to access the 'net today?
All of them (so it'll depend which room of the house I'm in).... Even the phone!
11. What was your first 'net handle?
My first one I can find on groups.google was eesshlgb - don't you just love those old mainframe usernames. I used to use Ignatz as a non-de-plume on alt.callahans
12. Did you use any other handles for any length of time? If so, what were they?
No, not really. Standard user names tend to be simon@ or sbisson@, and I occasionally dig out the old Ignatz...
13. What 'net handle do you normally use now?
simon@ and sbisson@
14. Are you active on any websites other than LJ? If you're willing to say, what ones?
As the NTK T-t-shirt says, "I spend all day bitching about you on IRC channels you don't know about". That and CiX...